The 2012 Dakar Rally has started with a tragedy and just in the first day of the competition, Jorge Boero died, after falling off his motorcycle and suffering a heart attack.
According to the official website of the 2012 Dakar Rally, the results in the first day of the competition have remained in the shadow after a 38 year old Argentinian man, named Jorge Boero, fell off his Beta RR450 motorcycle after 55 kilometers. Our source is also telling us that the motorcyclist died bcause of a heart attack, and even if the medics arrived at the scene of the incident in five minutes, Jorge Boero didn’t stand a chance.
“The rider has suffered a heart attack after falling and, in five minutes after the accident, he was approached by the medical team who arrived by helicopter. Despite all efforts, doctors could not resuscitate him, who died while being transported to hospital”, as the official website of the competition writes.
The first stage of the 2012 Dakar Rally was dominated by X-Raid, in the auto class, who “won” the first three positions with Mini cars and the victory was “signed” by Leonid Novitskiy, who finished the special stage five seconds before Krzystztof Holowczyc and nine seconds ahead of the French driver Stephane Peterhansel, who won the competition nine times.
1. Leonid Novitskiy Mini 32m12s
2. Krzysztof Holowczyc Mini + 5s
3. Stephane Peterhansel Mini + 9s
4. Giniel de Villiers Toyota + 15s
5. Robby Gordon Hummer + 49s
6. Carlos Sousa Great Wall + 52s
7. Christian Lavieille Dessoude + 1m00s
8. Bernhard van Brinke Mitsubishi + 1m20s
9. Orlando Terranova Toyota + 1m56s
10. Ricardo Leal dos Santos Mini + 2m13s