Ford Explorer Sport is a new addition for the 2013 model year, featuring EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 350 horsepower engine for greater performance feel and projected top fuel economy among gasoline-powered, high-performance sport utility vehicles.
The SUV will get a projected 16 mpg in city driving and 22 mpg on the highway.
Other tweaks to get this three-row crossover dancing include reinforcements to the chassis, a faster ratio for its electric steering system, a unique 3.16:1 final drive ratio and larger brakes.
There are some subtle design changes as well, including blacked out lights, bespoke 20-inch wheels, and a machined grill with contrasting gloss black accents.
Inside, the Sport features available contrasting two-tone leather seating surfaces and steering wheel inserts. Speaking of the steering wheel, it includes paddle shifters that add an appropriately sporty touch to the driving experience promised by the engine.
Some of the features of the new Sport include:
• 4WD with Terrain Management System
• Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
• 10-way power driver’s seat with power recline and lumbar
• Six-way power passenger seat with recline and lumbar
• First-row heated seats
• Compass and exterior temperature display
• Rear view camera
• SYNC® with MyFord Touch® driver connect technology
• Sony® Premium Audio System with HD Radio™ and 12 speakers
Explorer Sport can be tailored to individual preferences with the following options as well:
• Active park assist
• Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) with cross-traffic alert
• Inflatable rear seat belts
• 110-volt outlet
• PowerFold mirrors
• Intelligent access with Push-Button Start
• Remote Start
• Adjustable pedals with memory
• Dual-panel moonroof
• Power liftgate
• Class III trailer-towing package
The Explorer Sport will be made at Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant.
Ford also offers a Sport model of the smaller Edge crossover.