60% of the 2013 New Car Sales Will Be Midsize Cars and Utility Vehicles image

According to a recent study from Wards Auto, midsize cars and crossovers will account for the majority new or redesigned cars in the following three years.

The study also shows that 60% of the new cars sold in 2013 will be comprised of midsize vehicles, such as the new 2013 Honda Accord. Midsize sedans, including the Accord, are expected to make up for 36% of the 2013 sales volume, while the midsize crossovers will probably account for 23.3%, the total reaching a percentage of 59.3%. The figure will decrease in the following years to 31.2% in 2014 and 43.5% in 2015.

The numbers might be right since the all-new 2013 cars are already here or will soon be, including the Accord, Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Malibu, Nissan Altima and the 2014 Chevy Impala. Wards Auto also says that by 2014 the Chrysler 200, Subaru Legacy and Honda Insight will be fully redesigned, and the Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Prius significantly updated. The midsize crossover segment will be based on the Subaru XV Crosstrek and the Hyundai Santa Fe.

The small cars and crossovers will be the next best-sold segment in 2013, with 15%. In 2014, redesigned pickup trucks will account for 30% of the new vehicle sales, including the new mid-size and full-size pickups from GM, a new Ford F-150 and a revised Nissan Titan.

  • Haig Stoddard

    To clarify, because there has been some confusion in what our (WardsAuto) original piece meant by the "60%" figure: In 2013, 60% of the sales volume from all-new or redesigned vehicles will come from midsize cars and midsize CUVS. We are not predicting that 60% of 2013 industry sales volume will be comprised of those two segments.