AJ Allmendinger wants to return to NASCAR to prove himself following his ban last year when he tested positive for a banned substance.
Allmendinger was dropped by Penske after the test in July, but was reinstated two months later after taking part in NASCAR’s “Road to Recovery” program and started four races four Phoenix Racing.
Currently Allmendinger doesn’t have a full-time drive for 2013, but he will start this weekend’s Daytona 24 Hours with Michael Shank Racing, hoping to win it for the second straight year. The American was quickest on the first day of testing for the 24-hour race last weekend. However, he still can’t stop thinking about NASCAR.
“I have a lot of unfinished business. That’s not the way I want to go out. All the hell in my life started in the July Cup race. I reflect on it every day,” Allmendinger was quoted as saying by Autosport.
The 31-year-old finds it difficult to have to start the year without a championship to focus on but says he has maintained contact with the Phoenix team. He considers a lesson what happened in the second half of last year and says it has made him a better person. “The good thing is I’m here, the race car’s fast and we have a chance to win this thing,” Allmendinger said about the Daytona race.
by Dan Mihalascu
) - Monday, January 7th, 2013 - filed under Motorsport
. Image credit: .
Discuss: AJ Allmendinger determined to return to NASCAR