May 20 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Paul di Resta has tipped Fernando Alonso to win this year’s world championship.
In fact, the Scot – who drives for Force India – thinks Spaniard Alonso should actually be crowned a four-time title winner at the end of the 2013 season.
“He should have been champion last year,” the 27-year-old, referring to Ferrari’s Alonso, told Speed Week. “For me, Alonso is the champion of 2012.”
There is some history between di Resta and reigning triple world champion Sebastian Vettel, who is 17 points ahead of Alonso in the 2013 drivers’ standings.
Di Resta is actually a year older than Vettel, but it was the German who won the race of the former F3 teammates to get to formula one.
Vettel, although beaten to the F3 euroseries title by di Resta, got into F1 sooner than di Resta thanks to Red Bull’s strong backing,
“Looking at it they were luckier than I am,” di Resta, also referring to Lewis Hamilton, said some years ago. “He (Vettel) shouldn’t have gotten there before me.”
So, in 2013, di Resta is tipping Alonso.
“He had his problems in Malaysia and Bahrain,” he said, “but Ferrari looks very strong.
“I think he deserves the championship.”