Aston Martin, the maker of ultra-luxurious vehicles is holding talks with Daimler’s Mercedes-Benz for a new luxury SUV, Bloomberg News reports citing people close to discussions.
Looks like the upcoming SUV from Aston Martin will use a platform from Mercedes-Benz (most probably from the upcoming Mercedes GL) – said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private.
For the moment discussions are in the early stages and the automaker is still weighing whether to use its own platform and technology or in cooperation with Daimler. According to the same source, the upcoming SUV will hit the market somewhere in 2017 – same as Bentley’s SUV.
When asked if the company confirm the report, Aston Martin declined to comment.
Aston Martin, the only luxury automaker that doesn’t belong to any large carmaker is looking to increase its sales and model number by investing $832 million in the next four years.
In December, Daimler got 5 percent in Aston Martin and observer status on the Aston Martin Holdings board. In exchange, Mercedes said it will supply high-output V8 engines and electronic components.
At this moment the UK-based automaker is owned almost entirely by Italy’s Investindustrial – the same company that sold Ducati in 2012 to VW’s Audi.
Last year Aston Martin sold 3,800 new cars but announced a 9 percent fall in profit for 2012.
by Mircea Serafim
) - Monday, March 31st, 2014 - filed under Aston Martin
, Sticky news
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Aston Martin in talks with Mercedes for new luxury SUV