Audi provides the advanced sound system from Bang & Olufsen on the A8, Q7, R8 and the A7. Now – the automaker said this ‘optional’ will be available in the new seventh-generation A6 Avant.
The new system closes the gap between the other models in the Audi line-up, and becomes the eighth Audi model to feature a Bang & Olufsen in-car audio system.
Two dashboard-mounted acoustic lenses appear when the system is activated. In addition, the tweeter units feature the Acoustic Lens Technology, which disperses high frequency sound horizontally throughout the cabin.
The 1,330 watts of power delivered effortlessly to the 15 high-end loudspeakers are provided primarily by the compact and highly efficient ICEpower amplifier.
Such impressive power is nothing without control, which is why the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System Audi A6 also features a Digital Signal Processor (DSP).
– Technical Specifications
15 active loudspeakers:
• 2 x 19 mm soft dome tweeters in motorized acoustic lenses
• 3 x 25 mm soft dome tweeters
• 5 x 100 mm midranges (4 of 5 in closed cabinets, fibre glass cone, ABS basket)
• 4 x 165 mm woofers (closed cabinet, air dried paper cone, cast aluminium basket)
• 1 x 200 mm subwoofer (closed cabinet, air dried paper cone, cast aluminium basket)
• 1,330 watts at 1% distortion level
• DSP (Digital Signal Processing) Amplifier:
o True-Image™: Proprietary Bang & Olufsen up-mix algorithm for stereo and 5.1 multichannel material
o Volume levelling dependant on noise, speed and climate control setting
• ICEpower® Amplifier
• Unique aluminum speaker grilles in organic shape following the interior car lines
• Aluminium in Platinum colour
• Bespoke sound design by the acoustic team at Bang & Olufsen
• Volume Levelling – automatic real-time adjustment of equalization and volume to compensate for changing noise levels, input from a microphone in the ceiling
• Diverse sound setting options (front/rear/all/movie)
• MOVIE mode: Sound is optimised for visual and audio experiences and focussed to the MMI screens in the car
• Surround level adjustment
• Playback of multichannel sources