Australia is setting up a A$100 million ($89 million) fund to support regions affected by General Motors Co’s decision to stop production in the country by 2017, including directly supporting those workers affected by the decision.
GM, the world’s second-biggest automaker, said last week it would end Holden vehicle and engine manufacturing in Australia by the end of 2017, dealing a severe blow to the country’s auto sector and manufacturing future. The U.S. automaker cited high costs, a strong Australian dollar and a small, fragmented and highly competitive domestic market as reasons for its decision.
Although Holden officials talking to inautonews.com said they will continue to sell vehicles in Australia, the country’s Prime Minister Tony Abbott is launching the fund and related programs as a way to help transition the country from heavy industrial manufacturing to “higher value-added” production, other than just subsidies.
“In the end, no government has ever subsidized its way to prosperity,” Abbott told reporters. “This government will be very loathe to consider requests for subsidies. We will be very loathe to do for businesses in trouble, the sorts of things that they would be doing for themselves.”
The fund will include A$60 million in contributions from the Australian federal government and A$12 million from the Victorian government, with the South Australian government contributing the remainder. Abbott said the government also expected GM to make a contribution.
Workers affected by GM Holden’s closure will be able to access some support, while the fund will also help existing components manufacturers in Victoria and South Australia, along with other manufacturers and research initiatives.
by Aurel Niculescu
) - Wednesday, December 18th, 2013 - filed under General Motors
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Australia sets aid fund following GM’s decision to retire from Holden