(Inautonews.com/GMM) The Circuit de Catalunya is prepared to alter its layout if F1’s spectacular 2011 formula does not produce an exciting Spanish grand prix this weekend.
It is said Sunday’s race will be the true test of the success of the new rules, after the Spanish GP pole sitter won no less than 16 of the 20 races since Barcelona joined the calendar in 1991.
If the race does not live up to the others so far in 2011, such as Turkey where there were nearly 80 separate overtaking moves, Circuit de Catalunya could be modified, the venue’s new director Salvador Servia told La Vanguardia newspaper.
“If it really is needed, we will make the necessary investments because we want to lead,” he said.
Also “pending”, said Servia, are the negotiations with both MotoGP and formula one about the future of the premier motor racing events at Montmelo.