After aggressively forecasting record sales for 2014, now Bentley’s CEO Wolfgang Duerheimer said the company expects the sales rise would be more relaxed than earlier thought.
The chief executive of the premium British automaker, currently under VW AG control, said the earlier predictions are now considered to have been “too aggressive,” but declined to give specific figures.
“I still predict double-digit [sales volume] growth in 2014,” Duerheimer said.
The automaker would see its six-months sales jump in China, of 61%, quite difficult to sustain on the long run, citing also impact form the political instability over Ukraine in Russia – another important market for Bentley. the automaker also plans to launch its first SUV in 2016, with total sales forecasted to reach 15,000 units by 2018. Six-month deliveries for 2014 so far climbed 23% to 5,254 cars.
“Our R&D department is at full steam right now with the SUV. We want to keep the momentum going and immediately run into the next model line,” Duerheimer added.
The CEO also hinted at the possibility of supplementing the line-up with a fifth model after the SUV, which could be a two-seat sports car or a model positioned in between the Continental GT coupe and the Mulsanne limousine. The new model could be built on Porsche’s modular MSB platform.
Via Automotive News Europe
by Aurel Niculescu
) - Friday, July 25th, 2014 - filed under Bentley
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Bentley tones down sales increases for the year