The famous racetrack in Germany, Nurburgring faces the prospect of bankruptcy and possible closure this week.
The Nürburgring has been the main venue for the German Grand Prix since World War II but has shared duties with Hockenheim since 2009.
Kurt Beck, the state’s prime minister, has blamed the European Commission for the impending insolvency, claiming that its failure to approve a €13m state-aid package in time for a payment deadline at the end of July has put the future of the ‘Ring in jeopardy.
He said that “insufficient liquidity” meant that insolvency was “highly probable”.
However, relief may come from an unlikely source as F1 boss and potential megalomaniac Bernie Ecclestone has vowed to “do what he can” to keep the historic track on the F1 schedule.
Ecclestone has said that he will waive the usual race sanctioning fee for F1 to come to the ‘Ring in 2013.
A spokesman for the Nurburgring confirmed the accuracy of those reports.
German reports said circuit officials Kai Richter and Jorg Lindner negotiated the deal with Ecclestone in London last Thursday.
Hockenheim’s owners had previously suggested they could no longer afford to stage the grand prix on an annual basis. The managing director, Georg Seiler, has now suggested, though, it could potentially do so if certain conditions were met.