Carmakers participating at the Brussels motor show later this month have been instructed to avoid using scantilly dressed women to promote their cars.
Belgium’s equal opportunities minister Joelle Milquet wrote to the organisers of the auto show following reports of indecent behaviour by some male visitors at last year’s event. The minister criticised the use of women in provocative outfits for advertising purposes.
“A motor show is a place where you go with your family, we have to question the stereotypes we are passing on to children and young adults,” the minister wrote in the letter. Brussels motor show organizer FEBIAC replied that it had asked carmakers to ensure women are dressed appropriately at their stands. “We asked them to be responsible and sensible and we hope that everything will go well,” a spokesman for FEBIAC said.
The first exhibitor to react to the unusual request was Suzuki Belgium. The comapny said it will make sure its promotional staff at the show complied with the request. “I can tell you that it won’t be shocking and that Ms Milquet will have no reason whatsoever to complain about it,” a company spokesman was quoted as saying by Reuters.
Scheduled for January 11-20, the Brussels motor show is expected to attract some 350,000 visitors.
by Dan Mihalascu
) - Monday, January 7th, 2013 - filed under Motor Shows
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Brussels motor show girls told to cover up by Belgian minister