Casey Stoner confirms switch to V8 Supercars image

Former MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner has confirmed that he will enter the V8 Supercars competition this season after ending his time in MotoGP.

The 27-year-old Australian said he will drive a Red Bull-backed Holden Commodore for the Triple Eight team. He will compete in the V8 Development Series, following tests in recent weeks with a V8 car.

“It is a trial year to see how I go and how I like the sport. We are definitely making a commitment to it, but at the same time we don’t want to go too deep in case it is not for us. I was going to do 75 per cent of the races, but I have decided to do them all. I want to get as much time in the seat as I can and try to understand what it is like to drive a V8,” Stoner told the Sunday Telegraph.

The double MotoGP champion will debut at the Clipsal 500. He admitted that he hadn’t been thinking of moving onto four-wheels when he shocked the MotoGP paddock by announcing his retirement in May last year.

“Once I decided to retire from bikes, there was no thought to go racing again. I wanted to have a full year off and maybe even see the world a bit. I wanted to slow down. But as the year went on I started considering the V8 development series. We had discussions from there and eventually got a deal done,” Stoner revealed.