Even though Casey Stoner has retired from MotoGP for less than a year, rumors about him returning to motorcycling’s leading series have already began to surface.
According to a report from Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport, the 27-year-old Australian could take part in the Motegi and Phillip Island rounds for Honda.
Although the double world champion hasn’t commented on rumors about his wild-card appearances, Repsol Honda team principal Livio Suppo said he is unaware of any 2013 wild-card plans. “It would be very nice, but at the moment not to my knowledge. Obviously if Casey wanted to, there would be no problem,” Suppo was quoted as saying by Crash.net.
HRC vice president Shuhei Nakamoto previously said that Stoner would always be welcome should he wish to return. “If he ever decides to come back he will find a warm welcome waiting. I told him that’s always on offer,” Nakamoto said.
Casey Stoner will make his debut in Australia’s Dunlop V8 Supercar Series this year. Moto2 champion Marc Marquez has replaced Stoner at the Repsol Honda team, alongside 2012 title runner-up Dani Pedrosa.
Casey Stoner will drive a Holden Commodore in the V8 Supercars series this season for the Red Bull-backed Triple Eight team.
by Dan Mihalascu
) - Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 - filed under Honda
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Honda dismisses rumors about Casey Stoner’s MotoGP return