China now the second-biggest market for Maserati worldwide image

Fiat SpA (F)’s luxury unit Maserati SpA “almost doubled” sales in Chinain 2011 to 780 units. The company said that this extraordinary result means that China is now Maserati’s second biggest global market and its largest in Asia.

As expected, the Quattroporte series was the manufacturer’s bestselling model line in the country, accounting for 57 percent of all Maseratis sold. The GranTurismo and convertible GranCabrio made up the remaining 43 percent of sales.

The exponential growth on the Chinese market has been made possible by opening four new dealerships in the cities of Wuhan, Wenzhou, Xiamen and Tianjin. There are now a total of official 15 Maserati outlets in China.

In addition, in 2011, China led the way for expensive, exclusive and luxurious cars, buying more Lamborghini’s and Rolls-Royces than anybody else in the world.

Chinese luxury goods buyers are typically young adults and the country’s millionaires are generally about 15 younger than those in the West.