Nov.26 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Comments made by Team Lotus/Caterham chief Tony Fernandes seem to contradict reports Jarno Trulli may be unceremoniously ousted after Sunday’s season finale.
It has been rumoured that, despite inking a new deal with the Italian veteran recently, Fernandes may be in talks with Red Bull about sidelining Trulli to make room for either Daniel Ricciardo or Jean-Eric Vergne.
But in La Gazzetta dello Sport’s Sportweek magazine, the Malaysian businessman suggested that Trulli is definitely a part of Caterham’s plans for 2012.
The comments are also amid wild rumours in the Interlagos paddock that Renault/Lotus regards Heikki Kovalainen, similarly under contract already, as a potential candidate for 2012.
“We all have a close relationship,” Fernandes said, referring to the team management, Trulli and Finn Kovalainen.
“Jarno is only used to the very best of equipment, but we are no longer so far away from what he expects.
“Both of our drivers complement each other well,” he added.
Fernandes said the goal for 2012 is to finally come within reach of the points.
“We can join that middle group. The goal is to catch Renault and Sauber.
“You have to remember that we haven’t been using KERS, but we will be next year.”