Conquest Racing has decided not to enter the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series, the team announced.
“We made this decision this week. After considering many scenarios we decided that the time for putting together a competitive program in IndyCar was running out. It was better to step back as opposed to creating a last minute program that didn’t live up to our standards,” team principal Eric Bachelart was quoted as saying by Crash.net.
He added that the team intended to dedicate itself to American Le Mans Series sportscar racing instead. Conquest last participated full-time in the IndyCar series in 2011 with Sebastian Saavedra as its leading driver. Prior to that, Conquest had drivers including Justin Wilson, Alex Tagliani, Tomas Scheckter and Bertrand Baguette over the course of 16 years competing in IndyCar, IRL and Champ Car.
However, after IndyCar updated its technical specifications and introduced the DW12 chassis, Conquest was unable to find the money for a full-time entry in 2012 and moved to ALMS instead. Bachelart said that the ALMS move was the silver lining of this week’s decision to bid farewell for now to IndyCar.
“The good news is that this decision allows us to focus purely on our sportscar program, which we debuted very successfully last year,” Bachelart said, adding that the team had finally sold the sole DW12 chassis that it owned.
by Dan Mihalascu
) - Thursday, February 14th, 2013 - filed under Motorsport
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Conquest Racing pulls out of IndyCar to concentrate on ALMS