(Inautonews.com/GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has decided that that inaugural Indian grand prix this year will start at 3pm in New Delhi.
Earlier, the first race at the newly-named Buddh International Circuit was given a 30 October date, subject to the approval of the track by the FIA.
According to Auto Motor und Sport, Bernie Ecclestone travelled direct from Malaysia last weekend to India, to check out the progress at F1’s newest destination before flying on to China.
It is reported he has settled on a 3pm local start-time, ensuring a late morning start for the bulk European television audience.
Qualifying on Saturday will be one hour earlier than that.
Indian motor racing federation president Vicky Chandhok, the father of Lotus reserve driver Karun, rejected rumours the Buddh circuit is running late.
“I have no idea where these reports come from. We’re on target. Sure, there is a lot of work to do, but it will happen,” he said.
“Charlie Whitng has been out there and he said it reminded him of Korea last year. I said to him that wasn’t very promising and he laughed and replied, ‘No, Korea three weeks before the flag dropped’! smiled Chandhok.
The final inspection will be at the end of June.