Jan.20 (GMM/Inautonews.com) The F1 Commission on Tuesday approved a plan by the sport’s engine manufacturers to impose a cap on the price of supplying to customer teams.
Reports prior to the Geneva meeting had said Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda would table a proposal to reduce their prices to EUR 12 million per season.
The plan reportedly had the backing of FIA president Jean Todt, although it is believed Bernie Ecclestone wanted a more substantial change to the controversial ‘power unit’ regulations.
But international media sources, including the authoritative Auto Motor und Sport (Germany), La Gazzetta dello Sport (Italy) and L’Equipe (France), say the F1 Commission voted through the carmakers’ alternative proposal on Tuesday.
Gazzetta said the plan, slated for 2018, also involves “guaranteeing the supply” of engines to all teams, therefore preventing the sort of crisis that struck Red Bull last year.
And “to further reduce costs,” added Auto Motor und Sport, “it was also decided that from 2018 only three gearboxes per car will be used each season”.
Finally, it is believed that Todt’s idea to re-introduce refuelling was scuppered by the F1 Commission, according to sources close to the FIA.