Mar.25 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Amid speculation regarding Felipe Massa’s immediate future, Sergio Perez’s father has revealed that Ferrari approached Sauber.
Earlier, Sauber driver Perez played down the rumours about Massa’s future, including the suggestion he was at the very top of Ferrari’s replacement list.
“Sergio is focused one hundred per cent on (performing in) Malaysia,” the 22-year-old Mexican’s father Antonio is quoted by the Spanish-language Medio Tiempo.
Perez snr’s son is the cream of Ferrari’s development driver ‘academy’ programme.
“Since last year, Ferrari has had three drivers: Alonso, Massa and Perez,” he said.
“‘Checo’ has a great relationship with the team but I can say today that Perez is signed only with Peter Sauber.”
Nonetheless, it has been suggested Ferrari made an approach to Sauber recently, amid Massa’s performance slump.
“Yes, Monisha (Kaltenborn), who is the chief executive of Sauber, confirmed that Ferrari people approached her to talk about Sergio,” said his father Antonio.
At the very least, Perez is a candidate for Massa’s seat next year.
“That would be a good package,” the Mexican answered when asked about the potential pairing of his son with Fernando Alonso.
“I see it only as a matter of time. We have to wait and be patient rather than distract Checo from what he is doing now.
“Sergio was not even aware of the statements made by Ferrari: he was training and focused on his fitness,” added Perez snr.
Luca di Montezemolo, Ferrari’s president, urged calm over the famous team’s current situation, including the calls for Massa’s scalp.
“I understand that the fans are disappointed,” he is quoted by Stuttgarter Nachrichten newspaper, “but I ask them to remain calm.
“We must remain calm and focused.”
Still, the rumour mill waits for nobody, and even Ferrari’s official ‘Tweet’ about the “reasonable job” done by Massa on Saturday did not go unnoticed.
“I take that to mean, ‘You’re useless!’ German RTL commentator Christian Danner joked.