May 11 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Fernando Alonso has denied Ferrari is on the verge of giving up on the 2012 championship.
The Maranello based team has brought significant updates to its so far disappointing F2012 car for this weekend’s Spanish grand prix.
Imagining the single seater doesn’t make a major step forward in Barcelona, Alonso was asked whether Ferrari might start turning its focus to an all-new project for 2013.
“We’ll see, we’ll see after the race, because we don’t know what car we have (yet),” the Spaniard told reporters on Thursday. “I answer you on Sunday.”
Alonso said more updates for the F2012 are also scheduled for the forthcoming Monaco and Canadian grands prix.
But what if the Barcelona changes leave Ferrari with a midfield car? Would the time be right to get an early jump on the 2013 project?
“I don’t think so,” answered Alonso. “If the step is not good enough … we need to work harder, for Monaco and for Canada, and bring more new parts in a more aggressive approach.
“The championship is long and we will never give up in May,” he insisted.