Chrysler is really enjoying a great ride these recent years. They had their sales increased every single time over the past 50 months. Even their market share jumped the most in a year since the Great Recession. And now they created America’s most powerful car.
Did you think the revival of the V10-powered, 640 horsepower SRT Viper in late 2012 was a sign of increased confidence? Well, then this is a sign of over the top “machismo”. The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat has 707 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, with a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 that can eat 1.5 gallons of gas per minute – it would deplete the tank in just 13 minutes. And that’s not the most amazing fact about it.
5. The 8.4-inch interior display features the new “SRT Performance Pages”, allowing you to see what you consider as critical data – from detailed engine info to performance figures, all in real-time and via voice control.
4. The Dodge comes – for the first time – with two ignition keys. One black and one red. The first is for “valet” parking: just 500 hp available and the transmissions starts in second gear. You already know what the latter’s for, don’t you?
3. The new for 2015 interface also allows you to fine tune everything from steering feedback to suspension or traction control from inside the car. There are pre-programmed “Sport” and “Track” settings, but there’s also a “Custom” mode or a “Valet” mode.
2. The Hellcat’s supercharger for the 6.2-liter V8 churns out 11.6 psi of boost. If that’s not enough, there are high strength connecting rods and a forged-steel crankshaft that can take a beating – at 1,595 psi, which is about 20,000 pounds.
1. The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) certifies the Hellcat at 11.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile with factory tires. On slicks there’s an even better 10.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile figure. There’s a launch control system – but the catch is that you won’t get the best through it – skill and experience will get you to that numbers.
by Aurel Niculescu
) - Monday, July 28th, 2014 - filed under Dodge
, Sticky news
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Five amazing facts about the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat