Ford Sells Climate Control Business to Detroit Thermal Systems image

Ford will sell its last automotive component operation, the climate control business, to Detroit Thermal Systems LLC.

Ford’s climate control business was part of the automaker’s Automotive Components Holdings (ACH), which was formed in 2005 when the company took back 17 plants from subsidiary Visteon Corp, planning to prepare each of the facilities for sale. Detroit Thermal Systems is a JV formed by V. Johnson Enterprises and France’s Valeo SA.

V. Johnson Enterprises owns 51% of Detroit Thermal Systems, and Valeo owns the remaining 49%. The deal will offer Valeo, which is an important part in global thermal systems, a firm position in the North American market. The climate control business is situated at the ACH Sheldon Road Plant in Plymouth Township, Mich. Ford announced that the sales transaction has already taken place and that operation and asset transfers to a new DTS plant in Romulus, Mich., will begin next year and will end in 2014.

Last week Ford announced the opening of its solar panel installation in Merkenich-Cologne, Germany. RheinEnergie, a German energy provider, was the one who installed the solar panels on the roof of Ford’s European Parts and Distribution Centre. They can generate enough electricity to produce 1,100 megawatt hours annually, enough to power 370 homes and also reduce the annual CO2 production by 550 tones.