Future of Nürburgring in doubt – applies for bankruptcy? image

The latest reports in Germany suggest the Nurburgring circuit’s management is close to insolvency, raising the prospect that a German grand prix could be held only once every two years, at Hockenheim.

According the Rhein Zeitung newspaper in Germany, the company running the complex (which included an ill-fated leisure add-on) is now around 413 million Euros in debt.

The state premier of the Rhineland Palatinate government said: “with greatest probability, bankruptcy would be applied for at the end of the month due to lack of liquidity.”

Despite applying to the European Union’s Executive Commission for an emergency loan of £10million to cover interest repayments, that is not expected to be granted.

There is already an investigation into whether 500m Euros worth of investment in the facility, which was redeveloped three years ago, was in contravention of European competition law.

The Nürburgring is not playing host to the German Grand Prix this year as it rotates with Hockenheim where the GP will take place on Sunday.
Previously, Hockenheim has said that it could not permanently host the race, but managing director Georg Seiler has said that the circuit is now in a position to do so if required.