The General Motors worker injured in a battery lab explosion on Wednesday, April 11th, has to stay in hospital for another day.
“That employee’s going to stay another night in the hospital for observation,” said GM spokesman Alan Adler.
Earlier on Wednesday, Warren Mayor James Fouts described the worker’s injuries as serious, but later a GM official said that the worker’s injuries were non-life threatening and he was expected to recover.
The accident took place Wednesday morning at the GM Technical Center in Warren. Chemical gases ignited during battery tests, injuring the man that was taken immediately to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit. The lab and equipment were seriously damaged in the blast. The explosion involved batteries manufactured by A123 Systems for the forthcoming electric version of the Chevrolet Spark.
A123, which is owned in part by General Electric Co., is one of several battery companies that built production facilities with aid from the US government. Although A123 Systems came under scrutiny after reporting manufacturing defects in batteries delivered to electric vehicle start-up Fisker Automotive, GM declared that researchers put batteries through rigorous stress tests.