GM Explosion Damage Might Reach $5M image

The explosion from GM’s battery-testing lab at Tech Center in Warren has caused damage which could hit $5 million.

On Wednesday, April 11th, Warren Fire Department reported damages of $3 million, property losses of $1 million and contents of $2 million. On Tuesday, April 17th, Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said the loss is closer to $3 million than $5 million, but the figure might change until the end of the fire investigation report. But the damages are beyond $5 million, they will be covered by XL Capitol Insurance.

The explosion took place last week and GM declared that it was caused by gases that vented from an experimental battery pack inside an enclosed room in its battery lab in the Alternative Energy Center building. A 26-year-old employee was injured and taken to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit, were he remained on Tuesday.

“Our first priority is the safety of our employees and we continue to investigate the incident,” said GM spokesman Greg Martin. “At this time, we do not have a specific dollar amount on the extent of damage, nor can we comment on the immediate estimates placed in reports filed on the same day of the incident.”

Source: Detnews