According to a recent report from a Japanese newspaper, Honda is preparing to extend the recall over Takata’s defective inflators even further.
The Japanese newspaper Nikkei reported over the weekend that Honda would issue another safety recall for at least 20 million additional faulty inflators made by Takata. The paper said that the new campaign was targeting regions such as the United States, Europe, Asia, Oceania and Latin America. The automaker dismissed the report on Monday, saying that it did not make any announcement in this direction. Nevertheless, more safety moves over Takata’s airbags will definitely follow, as the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said last week that the carmakers would have to recall another 35 million to 40 million inflators, an expansion planned to take place in phases between May 2016 and December 2019.
Honda has been deeply affected by this crisis and it has been involved in roughly half of the faulty airbag recalls announced so far. The number is raising to more than 50 million inflators, excluding the additional ones ordered by the US safety regulators. The automaker also confirmed last week that two more people died in its cars in Malaysia following crashes that made Takata’s defective airbags deploy and explode, thus climbing the number of such deadly incidents linked to the issue to 13 worldwide. Of the 10 deaths in the United States, nine have happened in Honda cars, and one in a Ford model.