May 8 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Nico Hulkenberg has played down suggestions he is losing interest in formula one.
“I enjoy every moment,” he told the German news agency DPA.
However, the German obviously wasn’t enjoyed Friday practice in Barcelona, as he struggled with the handling of his Force India and made his feelings clear by radio.
He may have been thinking about his most recent motor racing outing — at the wheel of a prototype Porsche at Spa, in preparation for his Le Mans debut.
Hulkenberg, 27, is doing the ultra-rare modern feat in 2015 of combining a full-time F1 foray with a limited sports car programme.
He insists his F1 motivation remains intact.
“It’s not to do with motivation,” he said. “But it is a different feeling when you know you have a car that can win or be on the podium.
“But I am still motivated and will give 100 per cent.”
Force India is uncompetitive so far in 2015, as Hulkenberg and teammate Sergio Perez wait for a much-needed ‘B’ car to be prepared.
“It’s not great,” he admitted. “It’s always more fun when you can be in front, but it’s my job. We are here as professionals.
“It doesn’t help to just say ‘It’s shit’ — you have to fight and work harder.”
But what about sports cars? Might it make more sense for Hulkenberg to join Mark Webber – who switched codes two years ago and is now enjoying life at Porsche – full-time?
“I think at some point, definitely,” said Hulkenberg, when asked if he will race full-time in sports cars.
“But I hope that I still have a few years of formula one in me.”
He insisted that, having endured a staccato-style F1 career to date with a range of midfield teams, he is not disillusioned with the top motor racing category.
“It’s still one of the best jobs in the world,” said Hulkenberg.
“Formula one has always been my dream. To compete with the other drivers, have duels. Of course I don’t just want to be in formula one — I’m here because I want to be world champion.
“When I realise that I can’t get there, I’ll have to think again.”