Rescuers workers have pulled the last body of a worker buried beneath a collapsed factory, bringing the toll in the second deadly quake to hit Italy’s Emilia region to 17.
Besides the dead, the 5.8-magnitude quake left about 200 injured when it struck just after 9am local time (07:00GMT), with an epicentre 40km northwest of Bologna. About 8,000 people were evacuated today, bringing the total to about 15,000 in the two earthquakes this month Antonio Catricala, Italy’s Cabinet Undersecretary said.
Italy will raise gasoline excise taxes to help fund relief and rebuilding efforts in the regions hit by earthquakes this month, the government said Wednesday.
A cabinet meeting in Rome earlier in the day was called to approve the measure, which will add two euro cents a liter to transport fuel excise duty.
“Emilia Romagna won’t be left alone,” said Vasco Errani, head of the regional government, who was meeting with Monti in Rome when today’s earthquake struck. June 4 has been declared a day of mourning for the victims, Catricala said.
When the quake hit Tuesday, Prime Minister Monti was meeting with emergency officials in Rome to discuss the impact of the earlier quake, which struck in the middle of the night and left at least 7,000 homeless.
The quake also destroyed factories in Mirandola and Medolla, and halted local train service pending inspection of the rails, bridges and tunnels.
Tuesday’s quake was followed by dozens of aftershocks. The U.S. Geological Survey recorded one aftershock of 5.6 magnitude.