May 5 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Former Force India reserve Daniel Juncadella says he does not regret leaving the Silverstone based team.
Last year, the young Spaniard worked with the Mercedes-powered team, attending races and occasionally driving in Friday practice sessions.
But now, he is focusing only on racing his Mercedes in the German touring car series DTM, and not regretting no longer being involved with Force India, who struggled financially through the winter.
“I’m not criticising,” Juncadella told Spain’s El Confidencial, “but I saw it coming a little bit.
“Force India is a small team where financially it always matters, but this year if I had to choose, I would have preferred another team,” he added.
Ultimately, Juncadella said F1’s current test restrictions make test and reserve roles almost obsolete.
“At first the experience was very good,” he said, “but then it starts to get a bit repetitive.
“So I decided to quit. As for the political side, inside Force India I didn’t see much but you realise that sometimes they do play a little with what they tell you.
“I was assured more days in the car that I got,” he revealed.
Now, Juncadella is watching his highly-rated fellow Spaniard Roberto Merhi struggle at the very far end of the grid with backmarker Manor.
“He feels a little frustrated,” Juncadella said, “because he complains that his car does not have the same top speed as the other.
“And it is very difficult when you’re fighting with a car that is not the same as your teammate.
“Hopefully he can fight on equal terms because he is better than his teammate, but when you read the British press it is (Will) Stevens who is appreciated more, without the record that Roberto has,” Juncadella added.