Lamborghini chief executive said that the concept Urus vehicles will soon get approval to begin production.
The Urus vehicle is Lamborghini’s first SUV since the Rambo Lambo in the 1990s. Late in 2012 Bentley and Lamborghini, both owned by Volkswagen, had prototype SUVs at almost the same stages, but only Bentley got the approval to begin production of the most powerful crossover in the world.
“We’re working on it and it will come, which will be good for the brand,” CEO Stephan Winkelmann said in reference to the SUV during an interview last week in Tokyo, where he opened a showroom. “We’re going low profile now. I can’t tell you much on details now, but when we get close to the launch, we will have more.”
Winkelmann added that the automaker sees the highest growth opportunities in the Middle East, Japan and especially in the US, as sales of high-end luxury vehicles have begun to drop in China due to the government’s move to stop lavish spending.
This might be a sign that China will not be anymore the center of gravity for luxury sales and McKinsey & Co. predicts that luxury industry sales in this market might drop to an annual 12% in the next three years to 2015, after it averaged 27% between 2008 and 2012.
The LM002 SUV, or Rambo Lambo, was discontinued in 1993 by the automaker, due to the failed attempt to manufacture military vehicles. If the Urus SUV will be built, it could hit the market in 2016 or 2017.
by Ana Cezara Savin
) - Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 - filed under Industry
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Lamborghini Might Get the OK for Urus SUV Production