The Alfa Romeo brand will return to the U.S. market late this year, Fiat and Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said.
The executive said the Alfa Romeo 4C will be the first model offered in the U.S. and added that further details will be offered in the next two to three months. “For sure it’s coming back this year with the 4C. With the Alfa Romeo 4C. We are finalizing the car now, so it should be here this year,” Sergio Marchionne was quoted as saying by Reuters after a speech to a Detroit businesswomen’s group.
An important element of Marchionne’s plan to offset Fiat’s losses in Europe by 2015 is to increase Alfa Romeo’s sales. The U.S. auto market is expected to be very competitive this year as carmakers concentrate on markets outside Europe.
Earlier this week, Marchionne was far more cautious about the moment Alfa Romeo would return to the United States, nearly 20 years after Fiat stopped selling Alfas in the country in 1995. At the Detroit auto show, he said that the 4C was “not where it needs to be before it comes to the U.S.” However, on Friday, he appeared to change his mind.
“It is ready. It’s ready in the sense that a lot of work has gone on in terms of architectures and models. We’ve got to make sure we hit the powertrains dead on. This remains my key objective right now,” Marchionne said.