Oct.7 (GMM/Inautonews.com) McLaren has denied claims Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll may be looking at buying into the British team.
Italy’s Autosprint reports that after Stroll recently held ultimately failed talks with Marussia and Sauber, he may then have been approached by McLaren shareholder Mansour Ojjeh.
The report follows McLaren slamming as “complete and utter nonsense” rumours last week that Gerhard Berger was being linked with a role at the team.
But Autosprint said the Berger story may actually be linked with Stroll, who reportedly saw the F1 legend and former McLaren driver as a potential figurehead should his Sauber talks have succeeded.
Correspondent Roberto Chinchero claims McLaren’s major Bahraini shareholders and long-time co-owner Ojjeh are willing to sell some or even “a large portion” of their stake.
The report said Ojjeh made an approach to Stroll, a fashion mogul whose teenage son Lance is a member of Ferrari’s driver academy.
A McLaren spokesman told us on Tuesday: “McLaren Group has not received any notification from any of its shareholders in respect of a wish to sell any shares in the company.
“In order to be able to sell shares in the company, they must first be offered to the other shareholders. These rumours are therefore without a foundation.”