Jun.24 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Fernando Alonso has described the 2015 season so far as a “transitional period” that will soon come to an end.
McLaren-Honda had to tweak its post-race test plans for this week following the Spaniard’s crash with Kimi Raikkonen on Sunday.
GP2 series leader Stoffel Vandoorne drove in Austria instead on Tuesday, while new parts including the ‘short nose’ travelled from Woking for Alonso to run on Wednesday.
Alonso says he is happy to suffer amid the team’s “transitional period” so far in 2015.
“I’m in a transitional period that will last a few months more,” he is quoted by Glamour magazine.
“As a new project, we need time. But I understand that we need to be strongly criticised now. We are not at the level we expected — expectations were very high,” Alonso added.
The two-time world champion acknowledged that “from the outside” his situation may appear “frustrating”, but McLaren-Honda has a “very ambitious plan for the medium and long term”.
“I cannot be frustrated because I have missed a trophy or two,” said Alonso.
“Of course I would like to have more titles and victories, but not having another trophy in the cabinet at home is an ego problem.”
And he said McLaren-Honda, despite the apparent depth of its current problems, has the “potential to make things right”.
“The team has technicians and engineers that I sincerely believe are very talented,” said Alonso.
“We are facing difficulties in the start, but if you take it as a transitional period, you can live with it.”