Sep.20 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Lewis Hamilton is no longer talking about his future.
Earlier in Singapore, the Briton drive a McLaren road car for a promotional event, but the team’s press officers insisted questions about Hamilton’s contract were off-limits.
Then, as the 2008 world champion sat down to talk to the media on Thursday, he started by laying down the rules of engagement.
“I’m not here to speak about anything apart from the weekend,” he told the two-dozen journalists.
“I’ve got no extra news for you so use your time wisely to speak about other things if you can,” said Hamilton.
The media muzzle will do little to calm intense speculation the 27-year-old is weighing up a huge monetary offer to switch to Mercedes in 2013.
In the rumoured hot-seat to succeed him is Sergio Perez, but some have found the prospect of a Ferrari-contracted development driver at the wheel of a McLaren in 2013 hard to imagine.
Asked if the Ferrari link is a show-stopper for a hypothetical McLaren switch, the Mexican said on Thursday: “No, not really.
“I am just part of the Ferrari academy, not part of the Ferrari team, so it doesn’t affect … as I said, still a long way to go in the season and I’m fully focused on the next races,” added Perez.