May 5 (GMM/Inautonews.com) One proposed solution to the sound problem in formula one this year is a “megaphone”-style exhaust.
The news was revealed by Toto Wolff, a chief at one of F1’s three current engine suppliers, Mercedes.
Together with Ferrari and Renault, the engine-making trio is currently looking into how to turn up the controversially low volume of this year’s new 1.6 litre V6 turbos.
Nico Rosberg, a Mercedes race driver, tipped a solution to be found ahead of the Monaco grand prix late this month.
“We will soon be in Monaco and I think we will hear a different sound there,” the German said last weekend whilst visiting the DTM season opener at Hockenheim.
“I think it’s important that we do work on it, because the noise is part of the show.”
Last week, a meeting involving Bernie Ecclestone, Jean Todt and all 11 F1 team bosses took place in London, and top of the billing was the issue of cost cuts.
But also on the agenda was noise.
“We discussed what solutions there might be, and us at Mercedes also have our approaches and proposals,” Wolff, also at Hockenheim for the DTM opener, is quoted by Speed Week.
He said some of the proposed solutions will be tested at the post-Spanish grand prix test next week.
“We will try them out on the car in Barcelona and see if they have the effect that we are looking for,” said Wolff.
He revealed that the solutions are all focused on the area of the engine exhaust.
“We have some highly complex solutions within the exhaust system,” said Wolff, “and also one like a ‘megaphone’ that simply opens up at the end — with all the problems that brings with it,” said Wolff.
“I do not know if the latter is what we should be doing in formula one, but nevertheless we will come with our suggestions and approaches and see in Barcelona.”