/ Motorsport / Mercedes not ruling out driver lineup change

Mercedes not ruling out driver lineup change

Linked In Share

Sep.5 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Right at the front of the grid, the 2015 ‘silly season’ is threatening to burst into life.

On paper, the top teams – Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull – are all locked up contractually.

But Romain Grosjean, the Lotus driver looking for a change of scene, thinks Fernando Alonso is still the “key” that could unlock a torrent of action.

Jenson Button, also waiting on his future, isn’t so sure.

“I don’t really think he (Alonso) is the key,” said the 2009 world champion. “I think the two McLaren drivers are probably the key.”

Indeed, McLaren has been the source of a lot of the rumours lately, with the Woking team wanting a truly top star to lead the new Honda era.

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel is one name linked with a huge-money move, and at Monza he is not denying that talks have taken place.

“It is not the first time I have been approached in the last couple of years which obviously is nice, but it is not my style to share (publicly),” said the German.

“At Spa I heard on Thursday that I’d signed for 150 million pounds for three years — I was asking where the pen was but nobody came back!” Vettel joked.

Lewis Hamilton may also still be in the running, after the 2008 world champion on Thursday denied Mercedes boss Toto Wolff’s recent claim that contract talks have been frozen amid the intensity of the title battle.

And the latest development is that Wolff is not ruling out a change to the German squad’s driver lineup should the increasingly bitter Hamilton and Rosberg feud prove impossible to manage.

“We would have to take decisions and take the consequences of having a different lineup,” Wolff told the BBC at Monza.

“If we are not able to manage the two of them following the Mercedes-Benz spirit then we need to admit that.”

Further down the grid, Nico Hulkenberg gave the strongest sign yet that he is not a player on the driver market this time around.

He said it “can be assumed” that he is staying at Force India in 2015.

“I am very comfortable where I am sitting,” Hulkenberg told German reporters at Monza. “I have no headaches.”

It’s not quite the same situation for his teammate Sergio Perez, as Spaniard Dani Juncadella is knocking on the door with sponsor Astana in tow.

“I have only read newspaper reports,” Mexican Perez said when asked about Juncadella.

“I’m not worried. It’s not like a year ago with McLaren — I have a greater role in the decision-making now and I feel comfortable at Force India.”

by Mircea Serafim (my Google+) - Friday, September 5th, 2014 - filed under Motorsport. Image credit: .
Linked In Share
Related Articles


Discuss: Mercedes not ruling out driver lineup change

Leave a Reply
















Inautonews Facebook PageInautonews RSS FeedInautonews TwitterInautonews Youtube Channel

Sign up to receive our email newsletter on your email. It's safe. No spam!

Boss plays down ‘naughty’ Rosberg-Hamilton move
Boss plays down ‘naughty’ Rosberg-Hamilton moveMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Toto Wolff on Saturday played down suggestions the tension between Mercedes' drivers could be set to ...
Hamilton asked FIA to explain Alonso crash – report
Hamilton asked FIA to explain Alonso crash – reportMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Lewis Hamilton played an unusually forceful role earlier this weekend in the drivers' FIA briefing, ...
Alonso upbeat despite Ferrari resurgence
Alonso upbeat despite Ferrari resurgenceMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) McLaren-Honda's all-champion driver lineup is putting a brave face on its situation. As in ...
‘No change’ after Pirelli’s China buyout – Hembery
‘No change’ after Pirelli’s China buyout – HemberyMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Pirelli's F1 project is "business as usual" despite the EUR 7 billion takeover of the historic ...
Malaysia not ruling out night race
Malaysia not ruling out night raceMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Malaysia is looking into switching to a night race format in the future. Organisers of the now ...
Schumacher’s stepbrother on Germanwings passenger list
Schumacher’s stepbrother on Germanwings passenger listMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Michael Schumacher's step-brother was on the passenger list of the ill-fated Germanwings flight, it ...
Ferrari adds EUR 100m to F1 budget – report
Ferrari adds EUR 100m to F1 budget – reportMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Ferrari is closing the gap to dominant Mercedes in more ways than one, according to reports. The ...
Alonso role meant no Indycar for Magnussen
Alonso role meant no Indycar for MagnussenMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Kevin Magnussen has admitted he let an opportunity to race in Indycar this year slide when Fernando ...
Next hurdle for Manor is 107pc qualifying rule
Next hurdle for Manor is 107pc qualifying ruleMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) After the silence of Melbourne, Manor finally got its engines running in Malaysia. The resurrected ...
CVC would sell F1 to Red Bull – Ecclestone
CVC would sell F1 to Red Bull – EcclestoneMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Bernie Ecclestone has welcomed reports Red Bull might be looking at buying formula one. Some ...
Susie Wolff ‘disappointed’ with Sutil appointment
Susie Wolff ‘disappointed’ with Sutil appointmentMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Susie Wolff has admitted she is surprised and disappointed with Williams' latest signing. Given ...
Manipulating excitement would kill F1 – Lauda
Manipulating excitement would kill F1 – LaudaMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Niki Lauda says Mercedes is staying out of the political debate surrounding the team's ongoing ...
Sutil’s legal issues with Sauber ‘not resolved’ – manager
Sutil’s legal issues with Sauber ‘not resolved’ – managerMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Adrian Sutil's legal dispute with Sauber is still ongoing. Late last year, although both the German ...
Hockenheim warns Ecclestone of contract ‘consequences’
Hockenheim warns Ecclestone of contract ‘consequences’Mar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Hockenheim has hit back at Bernie Ecclestone's suggestion that Germany might not return to the F1 ...
Ecclestone lets frustration show in Malaysia
Ecclestone lets frustration show in MalaysiaMar.27 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Bernie Ecclestone cut a frustrated figure on Friday. Speaking to reporters in Malaysia, the F1 ...
Read more automotive news


2015 Geneva Motor Show Coverage

bmw x5 xdrive40e shanghai motor show 1
BMW_M135i_3dr
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate AMG Line by Brabus tuning 1
2015 Dodge Durango RT 1
2016 Buick Enclave Tuscan Edition 1
2016 kia optima 1
Mitsubishi ASX 2,2 Diesel AT Instyle 4WD 01
BMW 2-Series Active Tourer 218d 01
Alpina B5 Bi-Turbo and B6 Bi-Turbo Edition 50 1
lamborghini-aventador-crash-china-11
2015 toyota rav4 hybrid 1
30-jahre-m5-for-sale-4-1050x788

More automotive from inautonews
BMW is getting ready to officially present the new X5 xDrive40e during the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show, next month. The BMW X5 plug-in hybrid, or the xDrive40e as it has been officially named, will be officially introduced at the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show, next month, and the images posted below stand ...
read more
Inautonews Editors Section
Test Drive – Mitsubishi ASX 2.2 Diesel AT Instyle 4WD
Test Drive – Mitsubishi ASX 2.2 Diesel AT Instyle 4WD The Mitsubishi ASX can be called just about anything except for “new” and this is the word we are looking for because the company seems to have ...
Test Drive – BMW 2-Series Active Tourer 218d
Test Drive – BMW 2-Series Active Tourer 218dIn an attempt to keep production costs low and to go ahead with its times, the 2-Series Active Tourer is the first vehicle made by BMW with a ...
Test Drive: BMW 225i Active Tourer
Test Drive: BMW 225i Active TourerOne word of advice from the very beginning – if you’re a BMW purist that believes the blue-white logo has nothing in common with front wheel ...

Editors Section
Inautonews Editors Section
2012 Safest Cars list 2011 Safest Cars [Video] 2011 IIHS Safest Cars [Video] 2011 EuroNCAP Safest Cars 2010 Safest Cars [Video]

Latest in Safety Recall roundup: Mercedes-Benz cars in two separate campaignsMercedes-Benz has recently issued two separate recall campaigns which are covering a total of ... Recall roundup: Three separate campaigns announced by FordFord has issued three separate recall campaigns which are affecting approximately 220,000 vehicles ...
Safety Section