/ Motorsport / Mercedes rethinking team orders after Belgium clash

Mercedes rethinking team orders after Belgium clash

Linked In Share

Aug.25 (GMM/Inautonews.com) The fallout of Sunday’s explosive clash between warring teammates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg is only just beginning to hit the ground.

Although Kevin Magnussen was penalised by the stewards for his wheel-to-wheel behaviour at Spa, German Rosberg escaped even an FIA investigation after driving into the rear tyre of Hamilton’s sister Mercedes.

“The stewards’ job is to make the fight for the title fair,” Brazilian journalist Livio Oricchio wrote in Universo, “but in this case they inexplicably failed to act.”

Rosberg, booed in the podium and slammed by his bosses, refused to apologise.

“A real champion would do this and say afterwards ‘I screwed up’,” 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve told the German newspaper Bild.

Boss Toto Wolff admitted the post-race meeting involving Rosberg and Hamilton had been particularly “heated”.

“Emotions have not cooled,” he admitted to Austrian television ORF. “(The emotions are) very hot and very high.

“In the heat of battle sometimes things are said that are a bit hard,” added Wolff, giving a hint of the flavour of the late afternoon summit.

“Please understand,” Rosberg’s media manager Georg Nolte said, “Nico only wants to discuss things internally.”

Hamilton was much more publicly forthcoming.

He even spoke about a pre-Belgian GP meeting on Thursday, during which Rosberg made clear “how angry he was” about the team orders shenanigans of Hungary.

“I was thinking ‘It’s been three weeks you’ve been lingering?’ He sat there and said how angry he was at Toto and Paddy (Lowe),” said Hamilton.

“After that, and this, it’s interesting,” said the 2008 world champion.

Hamilton then made the explosive revelation that, in the post-clash meeting late on Sunday, Rosberg admitted Sunday’s incident had been “on purpose”.

“He (Rosberg) said he could have avoided it,” Hamilton claimed. “He said ‘I did it to prove a point’.

“I was gobsmacked. You need to ask him what point he was trying to make.”

Wolff, albeit obviously furious with Rosberg, said the suggestion the German crashed into Hamilton deliberately was “nonsense”.

But he confirmed: “Nico felt he needed to hold his line. He needed to make a point.”

The fact Rosberg’s conscious actions resulted in contact might now attract the attention of the governing FIA, who have the power to open investigations even long after the fact.

Team chairman Niki Lauda’s blunt assessment was that the collision was “avoidable” — a conclusion that should in theory be punished by the stewards.

“Keep the steering wheel to the left,” the triple world champion added, “go a bit over the kerb and nothing happens. But he pulled to the right at the wrong moment.”

That is despite a spokesperson for the Paris federation as insisting that, as far as the FIA is concerned, “It’s over”.

But it’s far from over for Mercedes. First, the Brackley based team could punish Rosberg.

“Lewis said it’s going to be a slap on the wrist and there is no consequence,” Wolff said. “But today we have seen the limits of slaps on the wrists.”

But an even bigger consequence is the re-think in Mercedes’ policy of letting the drivers race freely.

“Unfortunately yes,” Wolff admitted when asked if the team is thinking about altering that policy in light of what happened in Belgium.

“We haven’t decided that yet, we will in the next few days but I am extremely upset — I feel let down and the team has been let down. We have defined rules and we have broken those rules.

“We are all fans and we owe it to everyone out there to let them race but today that philosophy has ended with Mercedes losing many valuable points and we don’t want to end up in Abu Dhabi losing a title because we are race fans.

“What’s the point of great races and great fights if at the end we look like idiots?

“We hate the words team orders,” he added, “but that is now up for discussion.

“We believed both of them understood but now this has happened and we need a new system,” said Wolff.

“This cannot – and will not – happen again.”

Lauda has been the loudest voice arguing against team orders at Mercedes, and even he is now quoted by Auto Motor und Sport as saying: “I think we can keep this policy, but I can’t promise anything.

“Our policy is that our drivers know what they are doing, but a collision in the second lap shows that this is not the case.”

by Mircea Serafim (my Google+) - Monday, August 25th, 2014 - filed under Motorsport. Image credit: .
Linked In Share
Related Articles


Discuss: Mercedes rethinking team orders after Belgium clash

Leave a Reply
















Inautonews Facebook PageInautonews RSS FeedInautonews TwitterInautonews Youtube Channel

Sign up to receive our email newsletter on your email. It's safe. No spam!

Dennis denies Alonso relationship breaking down again
Dennis denies Alonso relationship breaking down againMar.29 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Ron Dennis has played down suggestions McLaren's relationship with Fernando Alonso is once again ...
Susie Wolff slams ‘all-female F1′ series idea
Susie Wolff slams ‘all-female F1′ series ideaMar.29 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Susie Wolff has slammed suggestions an all-female version of formula one should be ...
Honda relying more on McLaren now – Boullier
Honda relying more on McLaren now – BoullierMar.29 (GMM/Inautonews.com) McLaren and Honda are working hard to make their new works collaboration gel. Back together in 2015 ...
Ecclestone regrets letting Manor return
Ecclestone regrets letting Manor returnMar.29 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Manor appears to have lost the backing of Bernie Ecclestone, the most powerful man in formula ...
Rosberg denies ‘blocking’ Hamilton
Rosberg denies ‘blocking’ HamiltonMar.29 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Nico Rosberg protested his innocence on Saturday, amid suspicions he 'blocked' teammate Lewis ...
Boss plays down ‘naughty’ Rosberg-Hamilton move
Boss plays down ‘naughty’ Rosberg-Hamilton moveMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Toto Wolff on Saturday played down suggestions the tension between Mercedes' drivers could be set to ...
Hamilton asked FIA to explain Alonso crash – report
Hamilton asked FIA to explain Alonso crash – reportMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Lewis Hamilton played an unusually forceful role earlier this weekend in the drivers' FIA briefing, ...
Alonso upbeat despite Ferrari resurgence
Alonso upbeat despite Ferrari resurgenceMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) McLaren-Honda's all-champion driver lineup is putting a brave face on its situation. As in ...
‘No change’ after Pirelli’s China buyout – Hembery
‘No change’ after Pirelli’s China buyout – HemberyMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Pirelli's F1 project is "business as usual" despite the EUR 7 billion takeover of the historic ...
Malaysia not ruling out night race
Malaysia not ruling out night raceMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Malaysia is looking into switching to a night race format in the future. Organisers of the now ...
Schumacher’s stepbrother on Germanwings passenger list
Schumacher’s stepbrother on Germanwings passenger listMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Michael Schumacher's step-brother was on the passenger list of the ill-fated Germanwings flight, it ...
Ferrari adds EUR 100m to F1 budget – report
Ferrari adds EUR 100m to F1 budget – reportMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Ferrari is closing the gap to dominant Mercedes in more ways than one, according to reports. The ...
Alonso role meant no Indycar for Magnussen
Alonso role meant no Indycar for MagnussenMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Kevin Magnussen has admitted he let an opportunity to race in Indycar this year slide when Fernando ...
Next hurdle for Manor is 107pc qualifying rule
Next hurdle for Manor is 107pc qualifying ruleMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) After the silence of Melbourne, Manor finally got its engines running in Malaysia. The resurrected ...
CVC would sell F1 to Red Bull – Ecclestone
CVC would sell F1 to Red Bull – EcclestoneMar.28 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Bernie Ecclestone has welcomed reports Red Bull might be looking at buying formula one. Some ...
Read more automotive news


2015 Geneva Motor Show Coverage

bmw x5 xdrive40e shanghai motor show 1
BMW_M135i_3dr
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate AMG Line by Brabus tuning 1
2015 Dodge Durango RT 1
2016 Buick Enclave Tuscan Edition 1
2016 kia optima 1
Mitsubishi ASX 2,2 Diesel AT Instyle 4WD 01
BMW 2-Series Active Tourer 218d 01
Alpina B5 Bi-Turbo and B6 Bi-Turbo Edition 50 1
lamborghini-aventador-crash-china-11
2015 toyota rav4 hybrid 1
30-jahre-m5-for-sale-4-1050x788

More automotive from inautonews
BMW is getting ready to officially present the new X5 xDrive40e during the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show, next month. The BMW X5 plug-in hybrid, or the xDrive40e as it has been officially named, will be officially introduced at the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show, next month, and the images posted below stand ...
read more
Inautonews Editors Section
Test Drive – Mitsubishi ASX 2.2 Diesel AT Instyle 4WD
Test Drive – Mitsubishi ASX 2.2 Diesel AT Instyle 4WD The Mitsubishi ASX can be called just about anything except for “new” and this is the word we are looking for because the company seems to have ...
Test Drive – BMW 2-Series Active Tourer 218d
Test Drive – BMW 2-Series Active Tourer 218dIn an attempt to keep production costs low and to go ahead with its times, the 2-Series Active Tourer is the first vehicle made by BMW with a ...
Test Drive: BMW 225i Active Tourer
Test Drive: BMW 225i Active TourerOne word of advice from the very beginning – if you’re a BMW purist that believes the blue-white logo has nothing in common with front wheel ...

Editors Section
Inautonews Editors Section
2012 Safest Cars list 2011 Safest Cars [Video] 2011 IIHS Safest Cars [Video] 2011 EuroNCAP Safest Cars 2010 Safest Cars [Video]

Latest in Safety Recall roundup: Mercedes-Benz cars in two separate campaignsMercedes-Benz has recently issued two separate recall campaigns which are covering a total of ... Recall roundup: Three separate campaigns announced by FordFord has issued three separate recall campaigns which are affecting approximately 220,000 vehicles ...
Safety Section