Jun.6 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Robert Kubica underwent surgery on Tuesday as the former BMW and Renault driver continues his bid to return to formula one.
Reports recently suggested the 27-year-old Pole, who was seriously injured in a rally crash early last year, would almost certainly never return to F1.
But reports in Italy on Tuesday said Kubica has been testing in a formula one driving simulator.
On the basis of those tests, he underwent orthopaedic surgery in a Verona hospital in an operation performed by Ruggero Testoni.
ANSA news agency said the surgery, which was completed successfully, involved the insertion of prostheses in order to restore mobility to Kubica’s right elbow.
“Now he can turn the steering wheel completely. Before, he was unable to turn his palm down and was forced to take a hand off the wheel to perform left hand curves,” Dr Testoni said.
“The operation was preceded by a series of simulator tests for a formula one car,” he added.
Kubica, who lives in Tuscany, will reportedly return to Verona frequently for hand function physiotherapy.