/ Motorsport / Mugello could step in amid Monza ‘problems’ – Malago

Mugello could step in amid Monza ‘problems’ – Malago

Linked In Share

Jul.3 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Ten million euros might not be enough to keep the Italian grand prix at historic Monza.

It is believed the governing FIA has some powers to protect some of the sport’s most iconic venues, like Monza and also the likes of Monaco, Spa and Silverstone.

But F1 chief executive Ecclestone has been making waves in Italy by warning that his current commercial deal with Monza is “a disaster”.

“I don’t think we’ll do another contract,” he added. “After 2016, bye-bye.”

Hardened F1 insiders have seen Ecclestone’s hard-nosed negotiating tactics many times before, but he is under pressure from other potential grand prix hosts who are willing to pay more.

One of them could be Mugello. The circuit near Florence is owned by Ferrari, and Luca di Montezemolo has made no secret he would like it to be on the calendar.

Apparently close to Ferrari in recent times has been Giovanni Malago, the Italian olympic chief who played down rumours the Maranello team is moving to muscle Monza out of F1.

“I rule out that Mugello intends to speculate on the issue on Monza,” he is quoted by Tuttosport.

“But if there were problems that cannot be solved, it must always be taken into account that there is an extraordinary facility at Mugello.

“All of Italian sport, however, is rooting for the problems of Monza to be resolved.”

Indeed, any suggestion that Monza could be axed is always guaranteed to touch nerves in Italy.

“Lombardy has always done its part for the Monza grand prix,” regional president Roberto Maroni is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, “but we hope that even the prime minister Matteo Renzi does not abandon his responsibilities.

“Monza is synonymous with the grand prix of Italy, and the economic reasons cited by Ecclestone are not acceptable or reconcilable with the history and the international role of Monza,” he added.

For its part, Monza insists it is yet to speak directly on the issue of new contract terms with Ecclestone, Sport Business International reports.

Circuit chief Federico Bendinelli revealed that upgrades costing “at least EUR 10 million” will commence this year and “go on for the next four to five years”.

As for Ecclestone’s threat, however, the 83-year-old Briton “has not told us anything about this yet”, he insisted.

“So we don’t know what the new requests are for the Italian grand prix from an economical and commercial point of view,” Bendinelli said.

by Mircea Serafim (my Google+) - Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 - filed under Motorsport. Image credit: .
Linked In Share
Related Articles


Discuss: Mugello could step in amid Monza ‘problems’ – Malago

Leave a Reply
















Inautonews Facebook PageInautonews RSS FeedInautonews TwitterInautonews Youtube Channel

Sign up to receive our email newsletter on your email. It's safe. No spam!

UBS reducing F1 sponsorship
UBS reducing F1 sponsorshipSep.1 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Major F1 sponsor UBS is scaling down its investment in the sport. The Swiss based global financial ...
Corvette Museum to fill car-nabbing sinkhole
Corvette Museum to fill car-nabbing sinkholeThe National Corvette Museum’s board of directors in Kentucky voted to fill an entire hole that opened up in February and ...
California lawmakers adjourn without helping Tesla
California lawmakers adjourn without helping TeslaCalifornian lawmakers are set to postpone the idea of coming up with incentives to tempt Tesla Motors Inc. to build a $5 billion ...
Tesla vs. dealerships dispute heightens in Georgia
Tesla vs. dealerships dispute heightens in GeorgiaTesla Motors Inc., which has previously fought U.S. dealers over direct sales of its electric cars, has to face a new issue in ...
Japan car sales hit lowest point since 2011
Japan car sales hit lowest point since 2011The auto sales in Japan have reached a three-year low last month, showing a decline in what the consumers are spending on car ...
Fiat-Chrysler to see New York stock market listing in October
Fiat-Chrysler to see New York stock market listing in OctoberCEO Sergio Marchionne said on Saturday that Fiat-Chrysler plans to list shares of the soon to be merged carmaker in New York on ...
[Video] Land Rover learns survival skills from Bear Grylls
[Video] Land Rover learns survival skills from Bear GryllsThe well-known television star, British survivalist and Mount Everest conqueror Bear Grylls has became Land Rover’s new global ...
[Video] Jaguar prepares XE S reveal on September 8 with hot teaser
[Video] Jaguar prepares XE S reveal on September 8 with hot teaserThe British brand has prepared a teaser video that spearheads the online unveiling of the 2015 XE S. The full batch of XE models ...
Saab carmaker NEVS wins creditor protection
Saab carmaker NEVS wins creditor protectionChina’s National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS), the owner of the Saab automaker since 2012, has won protection from creditors ...
[Video] Mopar offers preview of 2015 Dodge Challenger Drag Pak Test Vehicle
[Video] Mopar offers preview of 2015 Dodge Challenger Drag Pak Test VehicleDuring the NHRA US Nationals in Indianapolis, Chrysler’s performance division Mopar showed off with its Challenger Drag Pak ...
US auto sales remain balanced as the summer ends
US auto sales remain balanced as the summer endsCompared to last year, the U.S. auto sales in August will be about the same, continuing the recovery from the recession that hit ...
New Opel Corsa configurator launched
New Opel Corsa configurator launchedThe subcompact model is utterly important to Opel’s revival strategy, being the brand’s bestseller. So, no detail has been ...
Great Wall is building a Russian Plant
Great Wall is building a Russian PlantChina’s largest SUV maker, Great Wall Motor Co. has announced it has started construction of a $520.7 (3.2 billion yuan) ...
Chrysler merger with Fiat is on track
Chrysler merger with Fiat is on trackFiat said that its merger with Chrysler is on track after a tally of shareholders votes showed there are no derailments to the ...
Another exec at FAW investigated by China’s watchdog
Another exec at FAW investigated by China’s watchdogChina’s anti corruption enforcers are probing another former senior executive of the FAW Group, the latest target in the series ...
Read more automotive news


2013 Frankfurt Motor Show Live Images

Mopar provides Sportsman racers at the NHRA U.S. Nationals in In
BMW M4 Convertible 001
MIsha_Mercedes_SLS
2015 Chevrolet Tahoe hands-free power lift gate.
2015_buick_envision
VW_Eos_final
2015_toyota_tundra_TRD_pro
Audi-R8-crash-Mercedes-Benz-S63
MB_E250CDI_DSC1615
Mercedes-Benz SLK 200 Carbon Look Edition 1
Mercedes-Benz C220 BlueTEC Schmidt Revolution tuning 1
2015 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG interior 1

More automotive from inautonews
The National Corvette Museum’s board of directors in Kentucky voted to fill an entire hole that opened up in February and became an Internet sensation. The massive sinkhole that swallowed eight prized sports cars will not become a permanent attraction at the National Corvette Museum. Curiosity ...
read more
Inautonews Editors Section
Can Ricciardo do a Prost ’86?
Can Ricciardo do a Prost ’86?For the third time this season, Mercedes faltered in their 1988-esque campaign and there’s only one man ready to pounce whenever opportunities ...
Test Drive – Mercedes-Benz E250 CDI 4Matic
Test Drive – Mercedes-Benz E250 CDI 4MaticDaimler’s passenger cars division – which consists of the Mercedes-Benz and Smart brands – has vowed to recover the distance from its German ...
Top 10 Ferrari F1 drivers No.2 Alberto Ascari
Top 10 Ferrari F1 drivers No.2 Alberto AscariLike his father he was so fast, sometimes perhaps too fast. In pure natural speed and car control no driver could hold a candle to Alberto Ascari in ...

Editors Section
Inautonews Editors Section
2012 Safest Cars list 2011 Safest Cars [Video] 2011 IIHS Safest Cars [Video] 2011 EuroNCAP Safest Cars 2010 Safest Cars [Video]

Latest in Safety Recall roundup: Suzuki Kizashi for spider problemsSuzuki has announced a recall for the Kizashi models because of spider problems which seem to love ... Australian recall roundup: Jeep Grand Cherokee for rear blinkers issueThe North American based automaker Jeep has recently announced a recall for several Grand Cherokee ...
Safety Section