Danica Patrick said she won’t compete in the Indianapolis 500 this year in order to concentrate of her first full NASCAR Sprint Cup season.
The former IndyCar champion was linked to a possible Indianapolis appearance last year before she opted to drive in the Coca-Cola 600 on the same weekend. Patrick, who will race in the Sprint Cup with Stewart-Haas Racing, said her intention is to do the same in 2013.
“I can confirm that I will not be doing the Indy 500. The team and I decided to focus on Cup. It’s going to be plenty of work as it is. It’s going to be important for me, running for the championship full-time for the first time, to really keep myself focused on the Cup car,” Patrick was quoted as saying by Autosport at the Daytona 500 testing session.
She also said she is trying to set up a partial Nationwide program with Turner Scott Motorsports, although there is no deal yet.
“We are definitely talking to them trying to figure it out and we are definitely working on that, but there has been nothing signed yet. The exact dates, the races and the sponsor have yet to be confirmed for all that. We are working on it, but I would like to,” Patrick said.
Danica Patrick left IndyCar and joined NASCAR for the 2012 season. She finished 10th in the Nationwide standings, while also driving 10 Cup races, with a best finish of 17th at Phoenix.
by Dan Mihalascu
) - Friday, January 11th, 2013 - filed under Motorsport
. Image credit: .
Discuss: NASCAR: Danica Patrick to focus on Sprint Cup, no Indy 500 this year