Since its debut in 2006, the Continental GTC has enjoyed sales success in over 50 countries across the globe, attracting younger buyers to the Bentley marque. Customers are attracted to its sleek design, interior craftsmanship, refined performance and agile handling.
Now, the introduction of the new GTC range builds on this success with a subtle evolution of its distinctive style and a range of technical and feature enhancements benefiting comfort and customer choice. The appeal of the GTC is further strengthened by the addition of the new 600bhp (610PS) GTC Speed model. It is Bentley’s most powerful convertible ever and inspired by Bentley’s legendary ‘Speed Models’ from the 1920s.
The new GTC models share a fresh frontal appearance. The radiator grille is more upright with a more pronounced square edge, accentuating the Bentley profile, and bolder lower air intake. These latest models are further distinguished by chrome headlamp bezels, the availability of two new exterior paints and a new colour hide.
For the standard GTC, new low-friction dampers provide improved ride comfort. In addition, two significant new options may be specified on both GTC models: lightweight, fade-resistant, carbon-ceramic brakes, the largest production passenger car brakes in the world, and a sophisticated follow-to-stop Adaptive Cruise Control system with long-range radar sensor that monitors traffic ahead and manages throttle and brakes to maintain a driver-selected time gap.
The GTC’s chassis and exceptionally rigid steel body have proved more than capable of coping with the power of the 552bhp (560PS) 6-litre W12 engine. For the new Continental GTC Speed, Bentley’s twin-turbocharged W12 now develops 600bhp (610PS) that delivers true 200 mph (322 km/h) performance, with the roof up, with exhilarating, effortless acceleration. Even with the roof down the GTC Speed can reach 195 mph (312 km/h).
The Continental GTC Speed is visually distinguished by subtle design enhancements which emphasise its higher performance credentials. At the front, the radiator and lower air intake grilles feature a dark tinted matrix as standard. Larger diameter 9.5J x 20-inch, multi-spoke alloy wheels with Bentley-bespoke Pirelli PZero ultra-high performance (UHP) tyres, lowered and uprated suspension, wider twin-rifled exhaust tail pipes and a new boot-mounted lip spoiler that enhances high speed aerodynamics, reinforce the sporting character of the Speed model.
The GTC Speed’s 600bhp (610PS) W12 engine develops 9 per cent more power than the standard GTC. However, it is the 15 per cent increase in torque that really distinguishes the Speed model, which now develops an impressive output of 750 Nm (553lb ft). This is achieved across virtually the complete rev range, from just 1700 to 5600 rev/min, delivering that characteristic Bentley wave of torque.
The 0-60 mph sprint is despatched in a mere 4.5 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.8 seconds) and 0-100 mph in 10.6 seconds (0-160 km/h in 10.5 seconds).
The GT Speed coupe, which debuted in 2007, has become the top selling GT model across the globe. This was followed in summer 2008 by the 4-door Continental Flying Spur Speed. Now, the Speed family is completed with the introduction of the GTC Speed, which is expected to account for up to two-thirds of GTC sales worldwide in its first year of production.
Bentley Chairman and Chief Executive, Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen explains the rationale behind the GTC Speed:
“The Continental GTC is an elegant Grand Touring convertible in the Bentley tradition, exciting the emotions with its distinctive blend of performance, luxury, craftsmanship and modernity. The GTC Speed completes the family of Continental Speed models and broadens the appeal of the GTC to customers who demand a more focused, open-top driving experience.”
BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GTC – NEWS IN BRIEF
Continental GTC range
- New more upright front grille and larger, lower air intake
- Chrome headlamp bezels
- Retuned Servotronic power steering for improved feedback and feel
- Optional follow-to-stop, radar-based Adaptive Cruise Control system
- Optional fade-resistant high-power carbon ceramic brakes (only available with 20 – inch wheels)
- Two new exterior colours – Aquamarine & Blue Crystal
- New interior colour – Aquamarine
Continental GTC Speed
- 600 bhp (610PS) W12 engine, 9 per cent more power and 15 per cent more torque
- Top speed (roof up) of 200 mph (322km/h) and 0-60 mph in 4.5 secs (0-100 km/h in 4.8 secs)
- Top speed (roof down) of 195 mph (312 km/h)
- Lowered suspension (10mm front, 15 mm rear) features revised spring, anti-roll bar and damper settings for optimised ride quality, comfort and refinement
- New design 9.5J x 20-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels with Bentley-bespoke Pirelli PZero UHP 275/35 tyres
- New ‘Dynamic’ mode for ESP 8.1 system with progressive intervention
- Dark-tinted matrix grilles to upper and lower air intakes
- Bright chrome matrix grilles available as a no cost option
- Dark tint finish to alloy wheels available as an option
- Wider rifled sports exhaust tail pipes
- New aerodynamic rear spoiler
- Black lower bumper valance
- ‘Speed’ treadplates to both doors
- 3-spoke Sport leather steering wheel
- Drilled alloy sport foot-pedals
- Knurled chrome and hide gear lever
- Diamond quilted hide to seat facings, door pads and rear quarter panels
- Optional turned aluminium inserts to fascia, centre console and door pad inserts.
- Power output of the standard W12 engine remains at 552bhp (560PS)
- Top speed is unchanged at 195mph (312km/h) with a 0-60mph time of 4.8 secs (0-100 km/h in 5.1 secs)
- Improved ride comfort with new low-friction dampers
- Bentley ‘B’ brake pedal
GTC and GTC Speed interior key features:
- Electronically powered, insulated three-layer fabric roof folds flat in 25 seconds
- True 2+2 configuration
- Fully adjustable electric front seats incorporating three-position memory (seats, steering column, exterior mirrors) and electric lumbar control with optional massage facility
- Rear seat panel removable to reveal lockable ski hatch
- Electronic climate control system
- Comprehensive infotainment system includes:
- DVD satellite navigation system with route guidance and post-code entry
- Optional television tuner (except for US market)
- Climate control operation
- Computerised suspension control operation (damper and ride height settings)
- 6-CD auto changer in glove compartment
- Optional Naim for Bentley premium audio system featuring 1100 Watt amplifier and 14 speakers
- BluetoothTM remote SIM access profile telephone system with wireless connectivity for rSAP-enabled telephones, most BluetoothTM-enabled telephones and onboard SIM-card reader
- Telephone voice dialling (n/a Japan)
- Keyless entry and keyless ignition system
- Power latching of doors for easy exit and entry
- Console-mounted start/stop button
- Electronic park brake with move-off assist (move-off assist n/a for USA)
- Column-mounted gearshift paddles for sequential gear shifting
- Stainless steel-faced foot pedals and driver’s footrest
- Comprehensive anti-theft and immobiliser systems
- An advanced rollover protection system is installed beneath the rear headrests – two reinforced steel hoops deploy in a split second when a potential roll-over situation is detected