The US safety regulator said it opened another probe over a July 1 accident in Pennsylvania involving a Tesla Model X SUV.
Just one day after NHTSA announced it opened last week an inquiry following a May 7 fatal crash involving a Model S, there was another report of an accident possible linked to a failure of Tesla’s Autopilot semi-autonomous tech. The US safety agency has now started another inquiry to determine whether the system was active during the incident. On July 1, a driver of a Model X SUV hit a guardrail of a highway in Pennsylvania, crossed over the lanes, hit the concrete median and rolled onto its roof and came to rest in the middle lane. Both the driver and the passenger emerged unhurt. The owner told the police that the Autopilot was activated at the time of the accident. However, Tesla said in statement that it had no evidence that the feature was active.
“We received an automated alert from this vehicle on July 1 indicating air bag deployment, but logs containing detailed information on the state of the vehicle controls at the time of the collision were never received,” it said. “This is consistent with damage of the severity reported in the press, which can cause the antenna to fail.”
Furthermore, it also mentioned in another blog post that following the May deadly crash in Florida “there is no evidence to suggest that Autopilot was not operating as designed and as described to users.”