In an interview with German car magazine auto motor und sport, ex-Mercedes-Benz production chief Andreas Renschler said he received offers from other companies, besides the already reported tentative deal with VW.
Renschler is now weighing the offers he received, including the one from the Volkswagen Group. He also told auto motor und sport he was not considering starting a new job until early next year as he is under no time pressure discussions.
Last week people familiar with the plans told Bloomberg that VW seeks the aid of Renschler in order to succeed trucks business leader Leif Oestling as early as this year. The Daimler executive, because of its extended experience in Daimler’s truck unit, the world’s biggest by revenue, is particularly enticing for the VW Group, who wants increased cost savings and a bigger cooperation between its Scania, MAN and VW commercial-vehicles.
While the 55-year-old German had been working since 1988 at Daimler and was even considered by analysts as a strong contender for succeeding Dieter Zetsche as CEO, he was quoted by media as saying he didn’t think he could rise on top at Daimler. Renschler catered for the truck business at Daimler for nearly nine years, managing investments in emerging markets like Russia and India before moving to the Mercedes production head position last April.
by Aurel Niculescu
) - Thursday, February 6th, 2014 - filed under Industry
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Report – Former Daimler executive courted not just by Volkswagen