Saab CEO says investors still interested in the company image

Saab owner Swedish Automobile said on Monday the company is still attractive for some investors, after filing to make the carmaker bankrupt.

Swedish Automobile earlier said that Chinese investor Youngman no longer planned to invest in Saab after General Motors opposed a new rescue deal. “There are parties out there that have expressed an interest to pursue a possible acquisition of Saab from bankruptcy,” Swedish Automobile CEO Victor Muller was quoted as saying by Reuters. He added that it was now up to receivers appointed to oversee the bankruptcy process to assess such offers.

Muller also said General Motors had been a problem in finalising a rescue plan, though its unhelpful attitude had only emerged from the middle of the year. According to Muller, a court-appointed lawyer who had overseen Saab’s creditor protection process had undermined rescue efforts.

The board of Saab Automobile filed for bankruptcy today, as the company couldn’t continue without further funding. It is expected that the court will approve of the filing and appoint receivers for Saab Automobile very shortly.