Sebastien Loeb won the Monte Carlo Rally for the 7th time, with the final two stages of the 2013 event being cancelled for safety reasons.
The region was hit by heavy rain as the cars were in the mid-evening service, and local roads became badly congested with spectators leaving the stages. Organizers felt obliged to cancel stages 17 and 18 as the level of traffic would have made it impossible to respect safety regulations in case of an incident.
As a consequence, results will be taken from the end of special stage 16, meaning that Loeb wins for Citroen ahead of Volkswagen’s Sebastien Ogier. Two other Citroen drivers, Dani Sordo and Mikko Hirvonen, finished third and fourth. Loeb controlled the rally for most of the week, although Ogier had initially surprised everyone by setting the pace in stage one.
Ogier was content to settle for second, saying there was no need to try and beat his former team-mate as he would not be a title threat. Loeb will only enter four events this year in the WRC. Ogier was the only VW at the finish, as team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala crashed from sixth on the final day.
Rallye Monte Carlo overall standings:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen 5h18m57.2s
2. Sebastien Ogier VW + 1m39.9s
3. Dani Sordo Citroen + 3m49.0s
4. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen + 5m26.3s
5. Bryan Bouffier PH Citroen + 8m13.1s
6. Mads Ostberg Qatar M-Sport Ford + 12m03.7s
7. Martin Prokop Czech Ford + 23m27.3s
8. Sepp Wiegand Skoda Deutschland + 29m34.5s
9. Olivier Burri Offshore Peugeot + 35m38.4s
10. Michal Kosciuszko Italia Mini + 36m28.0s
Evgeny Novikov Qatar M-Sport Ford SS14
Juho Hanninen Qatar M-Sport Ford SS14
Jari-Matti Latvala VW SS14
Julien Maurin Maurin Ford SS10
Thierry Neuville Qatar M-Sport Ford SS4
by Dan Mihalascu
) - Sunday, January 20th, 2013 - filed under Citroen
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Sebastien Loeb wins his 7th Monte Carlo Rally