Today, January 11th, VW’s Skoda reported 2012 sales up 6.8% to a record 939,200 vehicles.
Skoda reported 2012 sales up 6.8% to 939,200 vehicles and 6.1% to 66,200 vehicles in December. VW’s Czech automaker previous record was in 2011 with 879,200 units sold. Skoda’s sales in China increased 7.1% to 235,700 vehicles, in Germany sales were up 3.6% and in the UK sales saw an increase of 17.6%.
In March 2012, Skoda said that it hoped the five-door Citigo subcompact will help the company reach its target of selling at least 1.5 million vehicles by 2018, including around 500,000 in China, its biggest market. Skoda Board Chairman Winfried Vahland said the company plans to develop its operations around the world, and especially in China, predicting that one-third of the anticipated 1.5 million sales in 2018 will come from this country.
“Currently 60 percent of Skoda’s sales come from the European market, [while] the remaining 40 percent are exports from other markets. In the future we predict markets outside of Europe to account for 60 percent [of our sales], or about 900,000 vehicles. According to my calculations, of these 900,000 vehicles over half will be sold in China.” he declared.
by Ana Cezara Savin
) - Friday, January 11th, 2013 - filed under News
, Sales Reports
. Image credit: .
Discuss: Skoda Sales Up 6.8% in 2012 to Record 939,200 Units