The General Motors worker injured in a battery lab explosion last week remained hospitalized today, General Motors confirmed. The US based automaker declined to disclose the worker’s name or details of his injury.
Detroit News reports that the 26-years old worker was sent to the St. John Hospital and Medical Center with an estimated four-inch gash to the back of his head and “concussion-like symptoms”.
The accident took place Wednesday morning at the GM Technical Center in Warren. Chemical gases ignited during battery tests, injuring the man that was taken immediately to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit.
The damage to the Technical Center in Warren could reach five-million dollars, inautonews learned.
A separate Warren Fire Department report from last Wednesday’s explosion estimated $3 million in damage, with property losses at $1 million and contents at $2 million. Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said Tuesday he estimates the loss is closer to $3 million than $5 million. The figure could change when a full fire investigation report is completed.
“People need to understand that part of developing new technology is pushing it to the limits,” said Brett Smith of the Ann Arbor-based Center for Automotive Research.
“Stuff is going to go wrong. That’s not to say it’s acceptable. You’re going to take your lumps.”