Tennessee Governor Wants the State to be the Location for Fiat-Chrysler Headquarters image

Tennessee officials try to convince Fiat and Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne to choose the state as the location for the Fiat-Chrysler headquarters.

Sunday, June 16th, Marchionne met Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam and other officials to celebrate the expansion of Fiat’s subsidiary Magneti Marelli components facility located in Pulaski. When Marchionne was asked where the headquarters of the newly formed automaker will be located, he answered with another question “Where would you like it to be?”, and he quickly got an answer.

“I have a vote on that one,” Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam said as he chimed in. “I’ll vote right here.”

Magneti Marelli invested $54 million to expand its plant, which manufactures rear lights and headlamps for vehicles. The facility currently has 90 workers, but the number is expected to reach 850 in the following four years, as Fiat and Chrysler are in-sourcing their lighting.

Fiat currently owns 58.5% of Chrysler and Marchionne wants to buy the rest of 41.5% from the UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust as quickly as possible.

“We’re working on this issue,” Marchionne said Sunday. “When I have something to announce I’ll let you know. Things are progressing.”

Source: freep.com