(Inautonews.com/GMM) Jarno Trulli has admitted 2011 could be his last season in formula one.
The Italian veteran, with approaching 250 races and 15 seasons under his belt, switched to the start-up Team Lotus last year after Toyota withdrew from formula one but has struggled.
Previously a qualifying specialist, the 36-year-old has complained all season about power steering, arguing the T128’s system is not good enough for his precise driving style.
“That’s why Kovalainen goes quicker than me,” Trulli told Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“These are not good times. After 2010 I expected to be fighting in the middle but we are still at the back, building up experience as a team.
“I want to see how things evolve,” he added. “It’s tough not fighting for high places any more. I could have a look around and leave F1, without quitting racing.”
Trulli said that while he is not interested in Indycar, he would consider moving to Le Mans sports cars “with a strong team”.
“But I’m not thinking about it now, I want to keep my mind clear. Then we’ll see,” he added.
Reserve driver Karun Chandhok will be driving in Friday practice at Valencia, raising new speculation Team Lotus is looking to its future beyond Trulli.
But team boss Tony Fernandes recently defended Trulli’s performances, answering “yes, yes, yes, yes” when asked if the veteran’s seat is safe.
“He brings something many people don’t see — a lot of experience in development of the car,” the Malaysian told the BBC.